Advice for Collecting CEEs

Speech-Language Pathology

Members often ask for advice to help them reach the three-year 45 CEE minimum - particularly those working part-time or on maternity leave.

Remember: The whole purpose of continuing education is to keep your knowledge and skills current. Even if you are on leave or working part time, you want to be able to assure your employer and your clients or patients that you are indeed up-to-date and maintaining the highest standards, as set by your national professional association.

That said, we all know that life can still get in the way. But, before you panic, check out some of our creative suggestions: 

  • You can count 5 CEE each year in category D just through reading articles. However, be sure to keep track of what you have read for auditing. It can be journals or books, but newsletters such as Communiqué do not count.
  • If you are on a leave, try to find out if there is a Speech or Audio interest group in your area (or start one yourself!) You can count up to 5 CEEs in category C each year. The group must meet regularly, have an educational component and have a goal of better service for clients or patients. You must also keep a record of the dates of the meetings. You may even consider starting up an online group (try LinkedIn, Facebook or Google Hangouts for a start) where you can share information with colleagues across over the country. Again, as long as there is an agenda, specific meeting dates and the goals of the category are met, it is be acceptable.
  • Contact the Speech department in the local school board to see if you could attend any of the inservices for staff. You could count this under lectures or seminars.
  • Sign up to take a course that could help in your practice (e.g., computers, first aid or stress management) and be counted in the related area. You can count 15 CEEs over the three year cycle.
  • Consider doing a special project (category H) for a minimum of 10 CEEs. This could be research in a clinical area that interests you and which will be relevant to your clinical practice. You would have to produce a paper on the topic you research. You could also decide to follow an individualized CE plan on a topic that interests you and is relevant to your clinical work (it could be research on the topic, visits to specialized settings related to that topic, observations of clinicians/teachers working with that population, etc. )