Communication Health Assistants
Time & Length of Session
Full Day Sessions
School Aged (5-17)
Linking Imaginative Play Skills to Speech, Language and Social Development
The language used in the description below indicates which language the sessions will be presented in.
Times subject to change.
PLEASE NOTE: This presentation is primarily for communication health assistants.
This workshop will address how imaginative play skills are linked to speech, language and social development. It will also demonstrate the importance of teaching play to children who are struggling. The approach is appropriate for all children, aged 18 months to upper elementary age, including children with complex developmental needs and autism spectrum disorder.
- Identify different types of players.
- Understand the strengths and risks associated with different types of players.
- Learn the six core developmental skills of imaginative play.
- Understand the developmental sequence of skills within the core skills.
- Learn to structure opportunities for speech practice into play based sessions.
- Learn and practice strategies and tools to scaffold and encourage the development of play and language skills.