We experience the world through our senses, through communication. Communication is everything. If you or someone you love is having issues with communication health, we want you to know that there’s help out there.

Speech-language pathologists can help with language, speech and swallowing, and audiologists can help with hearing, balance and auditory disorders such as tinnitus (ringing in the ears). But the first step is up to you; for your child, parent, friend or yourself: being aware of the signs and knowing what to do are your most powerful tools.

Portrait photo of an older person

Communication Health & Seniors

(Download the Communications Health & Seniors Brochure)

  • Hearing loss is the third most prevalent chronic disability among older adults.
  • 20% of adults over 65, 40% over 75 and 80% of nursing home residents have a significant hearing problem. 

SAC’s article titled Communication and Aging: Caring for Older Adults, published in the Canadian Geriatric Society’s peer-reviewed journal, explores the impact, signs and symptoms of communication disorders, with a particular focus on hearing loss and dementia.

Speech-Language Pathologists Can Help With:
  • Difficulties speaking or understanding 
  • Voice problems
  • Thinking and memory problems (cognitive)
  • Swallowing difficulties

Communication, speech, language and swallowing problems in seniors can be caused by:

  • Stroke
  • Head injury
  • Neurological diseases (e.g. Parkinson’s)
  • Tumours
  • Respiratory illnesses
  • Effects of medications
  • Alzheimers disease and related dementias or delirium
  • Psychiatric disorders
Audiologists Can Help With:
  • Hearing loss
  • Balance problems
  • Tinnitus (noises or ringing in the ears or head when no external sound is present)
  • Auditory disorders

Hearing, Balance and other auditory disorders in seniors can be caused by:

  • Aging 
  • Noise exposure
  • Heredity
  • Middle ear dysfunction
  • Medications that affect hearing
  • Neurological diseases (e.g., stroke)
  • Head injury
  • Tumors

Find a Speech-Language Pathologist or Audiologist Near You.