Exam FAQ

Do I need to write the SAC Clinical Certification Exam?

  • You are not required to write the SAC Clinical Certification Exam to be a member of SAC if you were trained in Canada, however, writing the exam is required if you wish to be an SAC Clinically Certified member.
  • Some regulatory/licensing bodies require you to write the exam to obtain your license and some employers require SAC Clinical Certification as a condition of employment.

How often is the exam offered and can I write on a date not listed?

  • The exam is offered twice a year: spring and fall.
  • Candidates can only write on the actual exam day unless for religious reasons you are unable to write on a Saturday. The exam would then be offered on the Friday prior to the exam date by special accommodation.

How do I find the actual location and registration time of the exam?

  • The exact exam location and registration time are indicated on the admission letter, which will be emailed to candidates approximately two weeks prior to the exam.

When and how do I get my exam results?

  • Candidates will receive results by regular mail 6-8 weeks after the exam.
  • Exam results are sent by regular mail only.
  • Results are not released by phone or email and are not available online.

What is the passing score and percentage pass rate for the exam?

How many times can I write the exam?

  • Exam candidates can write the exam three times.
  • Candidates must apply to write the exam for every attempt and pay the appropriate fees.
  • Requests for one additional rewrite may be made to the Standards and Ethics Committee.

Can I get a refund for my exam fees?

  • Candidates who cancel their exam prior to the posted deadlines will receive the appropriate refund.
  • Candidates who cancel their exam after the posted deadline will not be refunded.
  • Candidates who request a postponement and do not write the next exam do not qualify for a refund.

How long are my exam scores valid toward SAC Clinical Certification?

  • Canadian graduates have until December 31 to submit their required documentation to process their certification.
  • Internationally-educated candidates writing at the request of SAC have one year from writing the exam to submit their membership application and request certification.
  • Internationally-educated candidates writing the exam at the request of a regulatory body have one year from writing the exam to obtain their full license, apply for SAC membership and submit their documents to request certification.

Can I request copies of exam booklets in both languages?

  • Only those candidates who requested both EN and FR versions of the exam in their application are allowed to have access to both versions of the exam (this is indicated on the admission letter).
  • You may not change your language of preference on the day of the examination.
  • Use of the second version of the exam is for verification of wording only. You will run out of time if you check every question and there is no additional time allowed.
  • Speech-language pathology candidates should note that, given the structural differences between English and French (e.g. in phonology and grammar), the content of some questions will not be identical in the two languages. While official translators familiar with the professions are used in the examination development, not all questions are a direct translation of the English version.
  • At the end of each of the two examination periods, candidates must return both booklets to the invigilator.

As a speech-language pathologist, if I have passed the ASHA exam, do I need to write the SAC Clinical Certification Exam to become SAC Clinically Certified?

  • SAC has a mutual recognition agreement (MRA) with ASHA regarding the certification process.
  • If you have only written the ASHA exam but have not completed your clinical fellowship (CF) — in other words, did not complete your ASHA certification — you would need to write the SAC Clinical Certification Exam in order to be SAC Clinically Certified.

Can I become clinically certified in both audiology and speech-language pathology?

  • Yes, if you meet the requirements in both areas.
  • You cannot write both exams in the same sitting.
  • You must accumulate the requisite Continuing Education Equivalents (CEEs) in both areas to maintain dual clinical certification.

Does SAC Clinical Certification allow me to practice as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist in Canada?

  • SAC Clinical Certification is not a license to practice in Canada. Licensing is required to practice in provinces that have a regulatory body.


Phone: 1.800.259.8519

Email: certification@sac-oac.ca