Department: KidsInclusive Core
Hours of Work: Temporary Full-time Position; Approximately 12 Months;
Days: 5days/week for the calendar year
Wage Range: $40.00-$50.97 per hour + benefits/pension
Union: OPSEU4106 Non-Central
Location: Hotel Dieu Hospital site
The Speech-Language Pathologist will provide services to clients of KidsInclusive. The therapist may deliver services individually or in a multidisciplinary fashion. Services may be provided in the centre, home, daycare, school or community. Speech-Language Pathologists at KidsInclusive work in the areas of developmental pediatrics, augmentative communication services (ACS) and feeding. Hours of work may include evenings or weekends.
Each employee must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for supporting and providing client and family-centered care. Employees will demonstrate dignity and respect by being courteous and introducing themselves by name, occupation and role. Wherever possible, the speech-language pathologist will ensure that clients and families receive complete and accurate information and have the opportunity to ask questions. They will encourage clients and families to participate in care and decision-making at the level they choose, and collaborate by involving the client and family in the formulation of a plan of care.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review client history and available referral information
- Obtain client consent for assessment and/or intervention
- Conduct assessment using standardized and non-standardized tests, observation of the client, medical and developmental history and reports from other disciplines
- Assessments may be individual or multidisciplinary
- Write assessment reports that include recommendations and goals
- Communicate assessment findings to client and family and, with consent, to other allied health professionals and/or other community agencies.
- Implement individual or group treatment programs and provide supervision for any treatment carried out by a therapy assistant.
- Evaluate progress and modify goals and treatment accordingly
- Document all client intervention in accordance with the College standards and KHSC/KI policies.
- Provide copies of reports to family members and referring professionals when appropriate.
- With client consent, liaise and collaborate with other professional and service providers, which may include schools and daycares.
- S-LP’s working in ACS must follow ADP policies and procedures for completing paperwork and prescribing assistive devices.
- Maintain a record of all daily activities in Goldcare as per KidsInclusive policy
- Ensure maintenance of all client information, in accordance with privacy legislation and KHSC/KI policies.
- Provide input to the development of department and or hospital quality improvement procedures as requested.
- Assist in maintaining inventory of equipment and supplies; make recommendations for purchases.
- Maintain a standard of professional education by attending educational programs and workshops; transmit information obtained from these workshops to fellow employees.
- Complete e-learning modules as required by KHSC/KidsInclusive policies
- Assume educational responsibilities as required by KidsInclusive
- Maintain a record of all educational activities on Goldcare
- Participate in team meetings, discipline meetings and KI meetings
- Mentor new staff and participate in fieldwork supervision and evaluation of speech-language pathology students
Each employee is accountable for:
- Following safe working conditions and practices in respective areas of responsibility
- Carrying out duties in a way that embodies the mission and values of the KHSC and KI
- maintaining College membership and working in accordance with College standards of practice
- Working co-operatively with fellow employees, supervisors and departments toward the achievement of KHSC’s overall goals and objectives
- Master’s Degree in Speech-Language Pathology (or equivalent) and current registration and good standing with the CASLPO.
- 2 years recent experience working in a Children’s Treatment Centre; if not possible, consideration will be given to applicants with comparable experience in a pediatric setting preferred
- Experience in identification, assessment and management of children with a wide range of physical and developmental disabilities preferred
- Experience working with children/youth with complex special needs and their families preferred
- Experience working in community settings preferred
- Continuing education courses related to pediatric rehabilitation practice preferred
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to work as part of a team with professionals, support staff and other community agencies
- Access to a reliable personal vehicle along with a valid driver’s license and automobile insurance as per KHSC policy
- Current Basic Life Saving certificate at the Health Care Provider Level
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check and vulnerable sector search required.
- Proficiency in speaking and comprehending both English and French
The incumbent will be required to meet the physical demands as described for the area of work.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.