Manager of Communications and Marketing at Speech-Language
& Audiology Canada
Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC) is a national non-profit association that represents over 6,400 speech-language pathologists, audiologists and communication health assistants. We have a fantastic opportunity for the right individual to join our organization.
SAC is currently looking for an experienced and talented communication professional to join the association’s Ottawa office as Manager of Communications and Marketing.
SCOPE OF POSITION
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Manager of Communications and Marketing is a key member of the association’s management team, serving as the senior communications advisor for the association as well as playing a critical role in supporting the association’s advocacy efforts.
The Manager of Communications and Marketing serves as a central hub of information for the association, collaborating with colleagues from various departments to provide strategic communication direction to the association.
In addition to managing the day to day operations of the communication team, this position oversees all communication products produced by the association and develops internal communication procedures.
The Manager of Communications and Marketing is responsible for developing and delivering on communication and marketing plans that raise the public profile of the association and its member professions.
Strategic Communications, Marketing and Public Affairs
- Raises public, government and member/associate awareness of the association’s programs and services through the design and delivery of effective communication programs, products and impactful campaigns
- Maintains a pulse on leading trends in the areas of communications, marketing and social media to ensure SAC continues to be a leader in the field
- Supports the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in ensuring that the professions of speech-language pathology and audiology, as well as communication health assistants are well-represented in the public policy arena
- Serves as an advisor to the CEO, the management team and the Board of Directors on communications and public affairs issues
- Develops–or assists in the development of–position statements, official statements, media releases and other issue management material
- Lead’s SAC’s media relations strategy, researches editorial opportunities and builds relationships with key media partners
- Oversees SAC’s media tracking system to monitor issues of importance to SAC
- Leads the development of creative and effective content and materials that help increase member and associate engagement
- Oversees SAC’s social media channels and continually monitors, builds and develops SAC’s social media presence
- Oversees all of SAC’s websites and ensures the publication of high-quality content
- Ensures that all SAC messages on all platforms are clear, consistent, on-brand and reflect SAC’s Style Guide
- Directs and evaluates the development and implementation of promotional programs, including promoting the professions within the framework of Speech and Hearing Month and other public awareness campaigns and/or national advertising initiatives
- Writes, edits and reviews all public relations materials including information sheets, posters, articles and speeches
- Oversees the development of promotional activities to support SAC’s Professional Development Program, the annual membership renewals campaign and other SAC initiatives
- Oversees SAC’s advertising program
- Liaises with provincial associations with respect to communications and promotional activities
- Oversees the publication of SAC’s various e-communications: SAC in Action, Student Speak, This Week in the News, The PD Bulletin as well as all flash emails to members and associates.
- Establishes guidelines, processes and procedures for the association’s e-communications and newsletters
- Reviews and approves all e-communications prior to publication
- Oversees the production, editing and translation of SAC corporate documents
- Develops guidelines and procedures to ensure the high-quality French translation of all communications and collateral materials
Canadian Journal of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
- Serves as the main SAC point of contact for Journal staff
- Manages the work of the Multimedia and Graphic Designer and any freelance graphic design support
- Assists in the recruitment and hiring of Journal layout and editorial staff
- Manages the Journal budget
Awards and Recognition Program
- Oversees the Awards and Recognition Program and the associated standing committee
- Oversees the development of all promotional activities to support SAC’s Awards and Recognition Program
- Ensures that all communications and marketing initiatives are strategic, well-planned, well-executed and completed on-time and on-budget
- Participates in the development and evaluation of SAC’s strategic and operational plans
- Develops and manages the communications department budget
- Identifies, procures and manages external consultants, agencies and suppliers
- Writes letters, reports, presentations and proposals on behalf of the management team and the Board of Directors
- Manages a three-person communications team: the Communications Specialist, the Communications Officer and the Multimedia Graphic Designer.
- Coaches and mentors team members, conducts performance appraisals, oversees personnel conflict resolution as well as the hiring and termination of communications staff
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary degree in communications, marketing, public affairs or a related field
- Five to 10 years of practical experience in three or more key areas of communications, including public and media relations, government relations, issues management, advertising/promotion, marketing and social media
- Sound knowledge of content management systems, social media vehicles and other new web-based technologies
- Experience working with non-governmental organizations, particularly with professional not-for-profit associations
- Experience providing executive level advice to a Board of Directors and senior management
- Communication Skills– Superior written and verbal English communication skills along with the ability to effectively present and clarify requirements, expectations, ideas and concepts to various audiences/stakeholders
- Forward-Thinking– Brings an innovative and forward-thinking approach to all initiatives and tasks
- Leadership Skills – Creates and achieves results by coaching and mentoring team members to reach individual and organizational goals.
- Project Management Skills– Demonstrated ability to effectively run multiple concurrent projects and set priorities within tight timelines
- Organizational Skills– Organizes and uses resources effectively and efficiently to accomplish goals
- Problem Solving– Ability to develop and communicate solutions/responses to diverse user problems/requests
- Decision Making– Ability to know when decisions can be made independently and when they require consultation with senior management.
- Initiative– Displays a high level of initiative with the ability to recognize and anticipate what needs to be done
Bilingualism (English/French) is a strong asset for this position.
The work within the scope of this position requires an individual with a flexible work schedule, who can work some evenings/weekends, when required. The Manager of Communications and Marketing role may include some travel, but extensive travel is not required. This position is based in the Ottawa office.
HOW TO APPLY
If you think your personality, skills, education and experience make you the person for this position, we’d love to hear from you.
Please send your resume along with a brief cover letter explaining why you would be a great addition to our team to by August 9, 2021. Please include your salary expectations in the cover letter.
SAC is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our membership and employees. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to diversification of our association including, but not limited to, people with disabilities, Indigenous people, racialized people, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Please note: We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.