Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
ONGOMIIZWIN - INDIGENOUS INSTITUTE OF HEALTH AND HEALING
Speech Language Pathologist
We are presently hiring a full time Speech Language Pathologist (SLP), based in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, interested in working with our dynamic team of healthcare professionals in Canada’s Arctic. The SLP is a part of an innovative multidisciplinary health care team in a cross-cultural setting, providing comprehensive services based in Rankin Inlet with regular clinical visits to six communities in the Kivalliq region of Nunavut. There may also be casual employment opportunities available.
Nunavut offers you an opportunity to experience a different way of life; where trees don’t block the view of the stunning landscape and the local culture and rich history warms even the coldest nights.
Qualifications: Master’s degree in Speech Language; currently registered to practice speech language pathology with good standing in any one Canadian province; a certified member of Speech Language and Audiology Canada (SAC), or eligible for certification. Must have current child abuse registry and criminal record check.
- Provides accurate clinical assessment to diagnose language and communication disorders.
- Implements and evaluates appropriate interventions.
- Develops program plans for individual clients and groups that will be implemented in a school, pre-school or home setting.
- Works with educators, support staff and other health professionals to demonstrate how program plans will be used in the community setting.
- Develops new Speech Language programs to address the needs of Kivalliq residents.
- Provides ongoing community education and health promotion.
- Maintains professional competence by keeping abreast of current practices and therapies to contribute to achieving the best outcomes for clients.
- Experience with preschool and school age children is required
- Two or more year's directly related general clinical experience preferred.
- Program development experience is preferred.
- Cross cultural awareness and clinical experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Trauma Informed practice & Cultural safety preferred.
- Computer literacy and electronic health records experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Effective oral and written communication
- Excellent time management, organizational, and problem solving skills required.
- Proficiency in the Inuktitut language is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a multidisciplinary team is essential.
- Must have a well-developed understanding of professional responsibility and confidentiality.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must be able to work with limited supervision, be self-directed and prioritize own work.
- Must be able to work effectively in a remote setting with limited resources available.
We offer a complete benefits package including medical, dental and pension benefits, as well as relocation assistance. Salary range is from $99,743 to $113,159 per annum, as well as a northern living allowance and a generous continuing education allowance. Subsidized housing is also available.
Diversity and Immigration Statement:
The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply for this position please refer to the University of Manitoba, Employment Opportunities Website: https://viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca/default.aspx and search speech language pathologist.
If you don’t see the position listed or you require more information, contact the Medical Rehab Program Manager at 204-975-7700 or phone toll free 1-877-789-3711 and let us know you have registered.
Competition Closing Date: Until position is filled
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
For enquiries about the position contact:
Monica Achtemichuk, Medical Rehabilitation Program Manager